Monday, January 26

Ties that Bind

Once upon a time there were two moms who met while taking their sons to their first day of kindergarten. In fact, they not only met, but became friends. Their sons were in the same class and it became the norm to chat while waiting for school to be dismissed. The one friend, whom we'll call 'Ashley', had just moved to the area and knew practically no one. So the other friend, whom we'll call 'Me', invited her to her bible study. Ashely accepted and we've been growing in our friendship ever since.

Now, back up a few months to last May when my cousin got married. My cousin got married by going to Reno and there was no big wedding or reception, so I did not have the opportunity to meet her new husband or see the in-laws. And not until last month did I even find out her new last name! (we're not real close, my cousin and I. in fact, I haven't seen her for almost ten years!) To my shock and surprise, the new last name is the same as Ashley's, which is not (I repeat NOT!) a commonly heard or spelled last name.

This is strange, thought I. I knew that Ashely's in-laws lived in the same town as my cousin, so there had to be a connection. There just had to be!

Turns out there is. Not only is my cousin married to Ashley's brother in law (her husbands brother!) but she is now pregnant! This means that my new friend Ashley will be an aunt to my 2nd cousin!!! How bizarre is that??!

So, my new friend, who lives 2.2 miles from me.....the one whos son happens to be in the same class as my son....is kinda, sorta, somewhat related to me! Well, not really. But still....kinda!

Isn't that the most strangest of connections you've ever heard?

3 comments:

Denise said...

I am always amazed at these kinds of connections to see what a small world it really is! neat story.

Thany said...

I love this story!!

ohAmanda said...

That is SO weird! And cool!