Saturday, April 10

Ultimate Blog Party - Sometimes I Pretend to be a Good Cook

Ultimate Blog Party 2010

Greetings! Welcome to my little corner of the Ultimate Blog Party! Feel free to mosey around and make your self comfortable. Now, if I was having a real-life party or a small gathering of friends, I'd have a few snacks on hand and I'd probably have a big ol' bowl of tortilla chips along with some guacamole (my favorite snacky snack). And I just got a recipe for iced coffee, so I'd most likely serve some of that too. If I was a true proficient in the kitchen then I'd probably whip up something more elaborate and exciting. But alas, I am not. When I cook it is only to survive. Although, I've been known, on occasion, to get a little creative and produce a dish of delight....

Like the time I was assigned to bring a potato dish to a bible study social event. I had no idea what to make! None. So I asked around and was given a recipe for what was called Funeral Potatoes. I don't recall too clearly how I made it or what was in it (aside from frozen hash browns) but as I was making it I decided to sprinkle some curry on top to help give it a little more taste. And the potatoes were a hit!

Then there was the time that I accidentally opened the wrong can wile I was making dinner. I was supposed to use cream of mushroom soup for my dish but instead I opened cream of chicken. So I put the cream of chicken in a plastic container and into the fridge it went, where it would wait until the next day when I would use it creatively, somehow, because I didn't want to waste it. After consulting my mother, I put some frozen chicken in the crock pot along with the cream of chicken soup (which I mixed with some curry, not too much, just enough to add some flavor) then I added some broccoli that was had been sitting around in the vegetable drawer of my fridge. After several hours, when dinner was served.....wah-lah! we had a fabulous dinner that was raved about! A called that one my happy accident (which I have served more than once).

And there have also been a few times when I just throw a couple things together and it consumed as though it was a bonafide dish. Like when I threw in some salsa from a jar into a pot of kernel corn. And the time I fried up some canned sliced potatoes with green onion, spices and cubed tomatoes (although I must admit that my husband helped with that dish, a little).

So sometimes I amaze myself. But other times I'm just throwing things together so we can live. I'm not a marvel in the kitchen, but there are times I pretend that I am and my family lives to tell about it.....and asks for more.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For the prize drawing, if I win, my choices would be;

* US39 - the 2 night stay at a Hilton Garden hotel
* US75 - $100 gift certificate to Summit Camping Gear
* US7 - Tupperware prize pack
or - any Amazon or Target gift card (I'm easy to please ;)

15 comments:

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Hi Deanne! I'm visiting from UBP! Hope you can drop by my Party!!

Eshet Chayil said...

Hi, I'm just visiting via the Ultimate Blog Party. I love your blog.
~Beth
http://proverbs31.thepeacefulpalace.com/

Anonymous said...

Just cruizing through some of the blogs at the party :) {Enter}{Enter}Good luck! {Enter}Karrine{Enter}http://ow.ly/1wSfo My Ultimate Party Post

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from the UBP! I enjoyed visiting your site.

It sounds like a cook like you do!

Anonymous said...

sometimes the best recipes are accidents! Hope you're enjoying the party.

The Old White Barn said...

Very cute! Stopping by from UBP and I'm so pleased to have found you! I'm going to scroll back up and follow you on Google Friends.

If you get a minute, stop by for my Blog Party and Gift for UBP ($125.00 value).

Susan
www.BlackberryJamCafe.blogspot.com

~dab said...

Happy UBP10! I loved the title of your blog, so I had to stop by on the party train to say hello :)

Jenn said...

One of the mom blogs I visited today as part of UBP had a recipe for funeral potatoes! Too funny!!


Hope you are having a good time at the UBP!

Jenni ("Miss Tutu")
My UBP blog post: How to Make a Tutu blog - hope you will stop by, say hi, and sign-up for your free tutu lesson! :) and Mom Blogger $100 Cash Contest

Unknown said...

I love ice coffee...especially during these hot Las Vegas summers.
Love your blog and really enjoyed my visit.
I think this is my 3rd year. Not sure but really enjoy meeting new bloggers.
Great prizes this year! I hope you win one..or two.
I was late too but fashionable late for the UBP 2010.

The Sunshine Crew said...

Nice blog...great blog title, too! Just blog hopping as part of the UBP. This is my first time doing a blog party like this.
Have a nice day today.

nicole lindsay said...

I like what i'm reading so far and I'm happy to be joining your party!
penniesandthoughts.blogspot.com

jakiesmom said...

just stopped by from the ubp, have a great day

Jen said...

I'm here at the tale end of the party to say HI! Your cooking style is JUST like mine. So many times I just throw stuff together. I honestly do not pay attention so its hard to remember it when someone asks me for it again.

Emily said...

Hi Deanne! I'm also stopping by from UBP! Look forward to reading your blog!
God bless!
http://strobelshappenings.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hi! Stopping in (very late) from UBP. You sound like the same kind of cook I am LOL. I like to call it experimental. And yeah, there have been many flops!