A couple weeks ago I lost my shot at the Mother of the Year award. How'd that happen, you ask? I dislocated Isabel's elbow. *hanging head in shame* It happened one afternoon in Target.......
I had gotten all the items on my list and was ready to head for the checkout lines when Isabel came into true toddler form. I had let her walk instead of confining her to the cart (much to everyone's delight, believe me!) when she decided that she would walk no further and certainly not toward the exit when the toy isles were in sight. No mam. So as she began to lay upon the floor I foolishly grabbed her arm and tried to pull her up. This did not work but was helpful in getting Isabel to a somewhat standing and walking position. After a little more struggle and grumbling (mostly on my part) we finally made it to the checkout and then into the truck where we promptly drove home.
On the way, Isabel was not quite herself but not really fussing either. When we got home all she wanted to do was for me to hold her. Something inside me told me that something was not right. I started testing her to see what the problem was. I quickly noted that she was not using her right arm. Not at all. My thoughts went back to our struggle in Target and I thought I had dislocated her shoulder as it is a common and easy thing to do. I took off Isabel's shirt but did not see anything out of the ordinary. But she still wouldn't use her arm when I tried to put her shirt back on.
I called Ryan for his opinion on the matter, 'cause who wants to waste time at the ER when it's not necessary? However, that is exactly what he suggested (told me!) to do, go to the walk-in clinic. So I did and he met me there a few minutes later.
After waiting for about an hour, we were seen by a doctor who concluded that Isabel had a dislocated elbow, also known as 'nursemaid's elbow'. Once it was determined that that was the issue, he quickly set it right. After a few minutes of crying, Isabel was back to her happy, cute little self.
I was assured and reassured by the doctor and nurse that this sort of thing happens often and that I should not feel terrible about it. The weird thing is that I don't feel bad about it. I would have liked that it never have happened, that Isabel never be in that pain or discomfort, but it really is an easy thing to have happen (especially at this age when their little bodies are growing they way they do).
So, I don't feel guilty but I have certainly learned that I need to deal with my stubborn toddler a little differently, even if that means picking her up and carrying her like a sack of potatoes through a store. However, it also means that all the other moms in the world now have a better chance at wining that ever-elusive goal of Mother of the Year.
Monday, March 17
Out of Contention
Posted by
Deanne
at
10:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Poor girl! I'm glad she's feeling better.
When Rand was a newborn (on my birthday no less), hubby Randy was playing with Lindsey and swinging her up into the air by holding onto her hands. She was laughing and loving it, then suddenly started crying. We went to a walk-in clinic and the lady tried to set her arm TWO times and after lots of screaming on Lindsey's part, she told us to go home and Lindsey would start feeling better soon. By that point, it was bedtime and so in the morning when Lindsey was still coddling her little arm, we took her to the ER and the doctor there set it on the first try and without many tears for Lindsey. It was a bit traumatic on us all, but probably hardest on Randy since he felt so bad about it. Poor guy!
Long, long comment :)
I took the kids roller skating today for the first time-both of them. (I had help, I am not that crazy) and while helping Lucy I was SO SURE a couple of times that I had yanked her arm right out of the socket. It terrifies me. I guess after hearing what a trooper Isabelle was, I won't be so scared.
While ice skating, my son took a fall and "tweaked" his arm....I took him into the clinic because he was crying so much and I thought for sure he dislocated something. After we were shown into a room, I told him we needed to take his sweatshirt off for the doctor to be able to his arm. By moving his arm around to get the sweatshirt off - he stopped crying. He said his arm didn't hurt anymore. The doc said that the elbow probably reset as we took of the sweatshirt.
Whew!! It was a relief to be "fixed" so easily!
My husband also dislocated our friend's daughter's arm just like Mary's husband Randy did to their son...my hubby also felt terrible about it.......
It does seem to be a common injury for little ones....
A friend of mine told me they did this to their children a few times and I've lived in fear of it ever since. Thankfully it didn't seem too painful for her!
Whew - glad she's okay! I worry about that happening every time Rob throws her up in the air.
Whew - glad she's okay! I worry about that happening every time Rob throws her up in the air.
Yep, we've had that scenario when Lainie was littler.
I don't even even think I'm a nominee, but I would feel a little bad a bout the elbow, even if not rightly so. I'm good at guilt when it comes to parenting, not as good as most of my Catholic friends, but pretty good non-the-less. Sorry it's been a while since I checked in. Miss you.
John has had trouble with nursemaid elbow since he was about 2. Rough-housing with his big sister pulled his elbow out of place the first time, which required a trip to the ER and x-rays and a little sling.
But the ER doc showed me how to turn his arm, then bend his elbow to get it to pop back in.
I'm so glad he showed me the trick, because every once in a while John's arm gets un-hinged...
Ouch!
Post a Comment