It's been quite a while since I've done a movie review. I was doing it once a month, but then life got weird and crazy and our movie watching went down to pretty much nothing. I didn't think that posting a monthly movie review was worth it when we only saw one movie. However, now that we've seen quite a few since last I posted, I finally feel able to post about it. So here is my latest movie review.
10. John Adams - We really enjoyed this one. For me, it didn't sounds terribly exciting, but it was well done and it didn't take me long to get into the life and story and John Adams, our second president. If you like history, a good story and good acting, then I recommend this one!
9. Jane Eyre - Oh, wow!, did I like this!!! This version is new and I saw it on PBS back in 2006, but since I didn't see that it was on tv until after it was already well into the story, I added it to our movie queue. It took almost a year for it to be released onto dvd then it took a while longer for it be available. It was well worth the wait! Although I have not read the book, I have seen an older bbc version (with Timothy Dalton). If you like this story then I think you may be pleased with this movie as well.
8. Facing the Giants - This movie was made by a church, I think, in the midwest. It is their atempt at making a good movie that is clean and has a good message. If that was their intent then I say they succeeded. It's not up to par with what we are used to on the silver screen, but it was nice to sit down and watch a movie that didn't assult me with words or situations that were offensive or walk the line in any way.
7. Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian - We are currently readint the Narnia books to our kids, and after reading the 'wardrobe' book we let them watch the newest version of the movie. We had not yet seen this movie and wanted to preview it before allowing the kids. I'm glad we did. Although we liked the movie with it's action and graphics, we thought it was, for our children at thier age, too violent. I recently heard that Disney has decided to not make anymore of the Narnia books into movies. That's too bad, I would have liked to see more!
6. The Flying Scotsman - This was a true to life movie about a man, Scot Graeme Obree (of Scotland), who dreamed of becoming the world's fastest cyclist. In working toward fulfilling his dream, he constructed a new bike. As he does this he battles the sports authority as well as his own mental illness. It is an inspiring story of determination and true life stuggles. If you like this kind of story, then I recommend it.
5. Fireproof - This movie is similar to the Facing the Giants in that it was made by a Christian group and has some of the same players. I know that this movie got a lot of press within the Christian circles. Again, this movie is not of the same calibur as others that grace the screen, but at least it is clean and has a good message.
4. Eagle Eye - I liked this one! It had action and mystery with a little bit of sci-fi. It was one of those movies that had you guessing what was going on. I had a general idea of what the movie was about and I'm glad I din't know more, for I enjoyed following along and trying to figure it out (which I didn't, but that's ok, it's just part of the fun!).
3. The Tale of Despereaux - Mae and I had read the book together at the first of the year, so we thought it only right to watch the movie too! I enjoyed how the author wove her story together and brought life to the characters. I wish I could say the same for the movie. This is just another example of how the book is better than the movie. Although, I am glad that the movie wasn't as dark as the book was. If I hadn't read the book, I still would have enjoyed the movie.
2. Slumdog Millionaire - Now this was a good movie! I thought it was clever and original. It's a story of a guy who is about to win India's version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Through most of the movie he is explaining how he, a young man who grew up in the slums of India, knows the answers to the questions he was given. As he explains his answers, we get a peek into his life and how he grew up. Why can't there be more movies like this?? It was, for the most part, clean and had some action along with true to life circumstances, but without being hokey or falling flat.
1. Traitor - A political action adventure flick. Not always my choice in movies (can you tell that my husband picked this one?). However, it was entertaining and a little thought provoking.
Maybe another reason we haven't watched many movies lately is because we are running low on selection. Any ideas of what we should watch next??
For more Top Ten lists, or if you want to add to the list of lists, go visit Oh Amanda!
Tuesday, April 28
Top Ten Tuesday - Movie Review
Posted by
Deanne
at
2:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I just finished watching the HBO John Adams mini-series, and I LOVED it! I feel like it was very well done and clean and educational. I think it was great.
Have you seen BBC's mini series Jeckyl (sp?)? Josh & I both thoroughly enjoyed that! Great acting and character development.
Thanks - more fodder for my Netflix queue!
Hmm....I had wondered if Slumdog Millionaire was worth watching or not....I know it got awards at the Oscars. I just might have to rent it ;)
Post a Comment