Never say 'never'. And, don't doubt your mother.
Both of these are things that I have done. And I think God laughed. Then things happened.
Never say never.......
I used to hear other moms talk about homeschooling their children and inevitably I'd say or think something like 'that's great for you, but I will never homeschool my kids'. I kind of like taking my kids to school and dropping them off. It's fun to help out in the classroom, and it's also fun to be at home and get things done with a little less distraction and whine. However, I said I'd 'never' homeschool my kids. I also said that it would take the Lord moving in my life to make it happen. Well, hear me now when I say the Lord has moved me! Beginning this fall I will be homeschooling Isabel.
Back in March when Caleb was in soccer, I met a mom who home schools her children through a local charter school. We talked a little about it and how the school works. This school is a bit different in that it offers part homeschool and part classroom time at the school. The next day I was thinking about Isabel and how she's just not quite at the same level that Mae and Caleb were upon entering kindergarten. Some of it I feel is my fault since she is the third child and has not gotten the attention with reading books and writing as Mae and Caleb received from me. As I was thinking about Isabel's development, I thought that maybe doing the partial homeschool thing would help her get more attention and help as she begins her elementary career. The thought of homeschool her in this way was not overwhelming to me and I actually thought that it would be possible for me to do it.
And so began the moving of the Lord in my heart on behalf of my little girl. As of this coming fall Isabel will begin kindergarten and I, in part, will be her teacher. Amazingly enough, I am excited about it. Now I know that there will be times and days that we will struggle or have a difficult time, and a part of me is still freaking out that I'm actually doing this. But this was not my plan, this came from the Lord, He has brought me to this point, so I know that Isabel and I are not alone as we begin this homeschooling journey together. Who knew that something as huge as this would happen in my life? I certainly didn't, for I thought it would never happen!
4 comments:
Homeschooling is so rewarding, challenging and for us I'm hoping FUN in the coming year. We've switched curriculum, so it's going to be like starting over again.
I'm praying it will be fun and the kids will love it (which would be better than the last year). Still trying to figure out which grammar would be best, but everything else is decided. Have fun, that's my recommendation! Find what will be fun for you to teach and for your daughter to do.
ANyway, you can do it! :)
I have been thinking this SAME thing! There's a place near us that does 2 days class room & 3 days homeschool. I had heard about it and wanted to look it up well, lo and behold my brand new next door neighbors have their Kindergartener in it and LOVE it. So excited to hear about your journey!
Two things I swore I would never do... be married to a pastor and be a teacher. God is funny sometimes, right?
We're doing kindergarten at home next year too. It's through the school district - they provide all the curriculum and we just do everything at home. It's all free and we just check in once a month to make sure we're on track. I'm nervous - but I definitely know its the right thing to do.
We can do this!! :)
Hmmm... I'm pretty sure you once told me I was crazy for homeschooling... :P I'm excited for you! :)
Post a Comment