Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4
I've read this verse many times in my life, and most times I get the thought of "Yeah right. Always? It's hard to rejoice in every situation!". But there it is. A command. On the other hand......maybe Paul didn't realize what it would be like to be waiting and sitting in the Department of Motor Vehicles.
I have about a month and a half to get myself down to the DMV before my license expires. Oh the joy. I could only wonder at the hours of wasted time spent waiting in line with a bunch of unhappy people in a dingy crowded building. And so today, I packed two snacks and a book and took myself down to the DMV. After going to the wrong location, I finally found the building and stood in the long line just to get my number assigned to me. I was number G115. And they were on G093 when I sat down. I had no idea what the other letters and numbers were for. The big screen in the building was flashing up numbers like B109 and C063, with an occasional 'G' number thrown in for good measure, I guess.
After getting my number, I found a seat in the middle of a pretty much empty row. I sat down, updated my Facebook status (what else is more entertaining that letting others know that I am waiting in the dungeon of doom with the rest of my city's humanity?), then I opened my book and began reading. Soon a lady and her husband came and sat right next to me. I was a bit annoyed as I casually looked around the room and saw that there was plenty of empty seats around the room and yet they chose to sit right beside me! Then the lady began to fan herself and wafting her perfume directly into my breathing space. Seriously? Sit next to me and make me smell you also?? *sigh*
That was when I checked my email and saw a response to my Facebook status - I would LOVE to be sitting in DMV reading a book right now!. I sat and thought about that little statement. My friend was right. How often would I love to sit somewhere and have nothing else to do than read a book somewhat uninterrupted? My days have been filled, for years, with little beings constantly surrounding me, asking me for things, as the household requires errands and cleaning and host of other things from me as well. And then I realized what a blessed day I was having. There I was, sitting in the DMV and my children were all safe and happy at school and I am able to sit down and relax and read my little book in somewhat silence.
God be praised! In the middle of the DMV! Who knew?!
And so I sat and continued reading. And my next door neighbor stopped fanning herself. Then my number was called and within 15 minutes I was done and outta there!
Rejoicing. It's a matter of perspective. And choice.
I have about a month and a half to get myself down to the DMV before my license expires. Oh the joy. I could only wonder at the hours of wasted time spent waiting in line with a bunch of unhappy people in a dingy crowded building. And so today, I packed two snacks and a book and took myself down to the DMV. After going to the wrong location, I finally found the building and stood in the long line just to get my number assigned to me. I was number G115. And they were on G093 when I sat down. I had no idea what the other letters and numbers were for. The big screen in the building was flashing up numbers like B109 and C063, with an occasional 'G' number thrown in for good measure, I guess.
After getting my number, I found a seat in the middle of a pretty much empty row. I sat down, updated my Facebook status (what else is more entertaining that letting others know that I am waiting in the dungeon of doom with the rest of my city's humanity?), then I opened my book and began reading. Soon a lady and her husband came and sat right next to me. I was a bit annoyed as I casually looked around the room and saw that there was plenty of empty seats around the room and yet they chose to sit right beside me! Then the lady began to fan herself and wafting her perfume directly into my breathing space. Seriously? Sit next to me and make me smell you also?? *sigh*
That was when I checked my email and saw a response to my Facebook status - I would LOVE to be sitting in DMV reading a book right now!. I sat and thought about that little statement. My friend was right. How often would I love to sit somewhere and have nothing else to do than read a book somewhat uninterrupted? My days have been filled, for years, with little beings constantly surrounding me, asking me for things, as the household requires errands and cleaning and host of other things from me as well. And then I realized what a blessed day I was having. There I was, sitting in the DMV and my children were all safe and happy at school and I am able to sit down and relax and read my little book in somewhat silence.
God be praised! In the middle of the DMV! Who knew?!
And so I sat and continued reading. And my next door neighbor stopped fanning herself. Then my number was called and within 15 minutes I was done and outta there!
Rejoicing. It's a matter of perspective. And choice.
2 comments:
And choice. What a great reminder!
Ah, perspective is a beautiful thing :)
That reminds me, Andy has a birthday coming up next week he needs to get himself down to the DMV!
Post a Comment