Monday, May 5

To Buy or Not to Buy, That is the Question

A couple weekends ago I sold some things in a garage sale, then last week I sold a few more on Craigslist. Now I have a nice little growing sum of money. I have an idea of what I would like to spend my little wad of moolah on. It's this!


Doesn't' that look like fun? I know my kids would love it, not to mention myself! Just think, I could use it as a part of my exercise regimen. Ok, so I don't currently have a 'regimen', but I could if I had a trampoline!

I mentioned my brilliant idea (the trampoline, not the regimen) to Ryan the other night and I was surprised to not get his approval. He has valid concerns that I completely agree with. Like what insane, unwise things that our crazy son would try while on the trampoline. Not to mention the accidents that could occur during even the non-insane moments.

*sigh* What's a girl to do? What are your thoughts? Do you think it's safe? Would we be courting certain disaster if we bought one?

We have not decided against it, yet. We're still in the 'thinking about it' phase. But if we don't get one, I wonder what else I may get instead. Any ideas??

For now I will continue to sell my crap stuff on Craigslist and add to my little stash-0-cash!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have an opinion! But I have to go get my daughter so I'll be back. Don't decide against it while I'm gone! :P

Anonymous said...

It will definitely make your home/renters insurance rates go way up. Just something to put on your pro & con list.

Thany said...

I will approve as long as you never invite me over to "jump on the tramp." It's a trampoline for crying out loud. Just say the whole word. :)

(And we'll be over in 15 minutes.)

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Looks like fun

Sarah said...

We had a trampoline when we were teens. We loved it. That was before side netting was a requirement. We had a slumber party on it (till it got too cold and we went in) and we learned flips and bounced each other.

Anonymous said...

My sister-in-law has one and my kids love it. Her kids 12 and 15 still have friends over to jump on it. Last week, Lauren jumped on it with PaPa--can you get a visual of that, Jim Leonard on a trampoline. Lauren said it was great to jump on Papa and the trampoline at the same time. However, there are always the stories of broken bones--my cousin broke her collarbone one time. But those things can happen in the security of your own home, or at any park. So, unless you wrap your kids up in bubble wrap for the rest of their lives--we must take chances.

But saying that I would still hesitate because of the risk to other kids visiting and the complications that brings.

Lani said...

We had one growing up!!
We practically lived on it and we slept on it all summer long!
We also had one for our kids when we lived in the "country" and they LOVED it. It didn't affect our homeowners insurance at all....
BUT- we had rules. Only two people were allowed on it at a time. That really reduced the risk of collisions if you KWIM.
I say "yes", go for the trampoline! :>) I think kids are at more risk for broken bones and injuries at the playground....

Anonymous said...

Our kids loved a hand-me-down trampoline we had when they were smaller (ages 4-6 instead of 8-10 now). Because they were so young, they couldn't really get to it unless an adult was with them. We would have kept it BUT we couldn't find a net that fit around it as it was an older set. I think I'd like to get another one for them - with the net...yes, they could get hurt, but life is risky. Either God is in control or He's not. I remind myself of this everytime I let my children out of my sight as I'd love to put them in a bubble to keep them safe. Overall, if the kids are responsible with it, it will be great fun! If they misbehave - limit the trampoline time to ensure they don't get hurt...

Crayl said...

We had one for a long time without any trouble, but we were cautious and had rules. However, we also had friends that weren't so lucky, even with rules. Daddy was on it with a daughter, and when she landed the tension wouldn't allow any "bounce' and it shattered her leg! It was horrible! SO even the "2 people" can be really dangerous.

But, I'd have another one in a heartbeat if I had the room!

tricki_nicki said...

Is it really that dangerous with the net? And what kids' activity isn't dangerous, anyway? If I had the yard I'd do it in a SECOND!

Ivymamma said...

As with anything, I think it will depend on what "rules" you set. there must be a parent outside...only two kids at a time...etc. I think the net is a great requirement. Having never seen your yard, you'd have to think about how much space it takes up and know that grass usually won't grow underneath. I do know that Mike would love one in our yard if it didn't take up half the yard!!! Looks like you've gotten some great comments.

Oh, and my son once broke his leg coming down the slide at the park. Accidents happen because they are kids.

ohAmanda said...

I never had a trampoline but always wanted one. I say yes.

Danana Banana said...

All I know about trampolines is what I've learned watching America's Funniest Home Videos.

I'm not sure how safe they are - but if you keep your video camera handy you might win $10,000!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, here's my two cents.. (sorry it took me so long to get back to you)

1.) Yes, there are dangers. In my experience, though, MOST (not all but most) injuries occur when you're doing something you're NOT supposed to be doing.

2.) The safety net (or kid-catcher as my grandma calls it,) is a MUST.

3.) I zip and latch the "door" so that they can't get in un-supervised. I also chose not to buy a ladder so that there isn't always access to the door. If I want to move our step, I can.

4.) Initially we had a strict "no somersaults and flips policy," until they got comfortable on the trampoline. Now they girls are tentatively trying out somersaults. My husband got in and taught them how to do them. I taught them how to fall properly.

5.) If they have friends over, there is a strict no flips and somersaults policy. Period. At all. By anyone.

6.) We also have a rule that everyone stops jumping while a person climbs in or out - the springs move quite a bit, and especially the 2 yr old could be thrown from the side while climbing up/down.

Even with all the rules, the kids have a blast and they love it. It's good exercise too and it's helped them sleep better if they play and jump after dinner/before bed. :)

For us, I'm really glad that we got it.

However, I get how some people aren't all for that. And that's cool. :)

wendy said...

nathan is not in love with trampolines, either. I asked him last weekend if I could buy one - our neighbors have one and let some kids jump with them, but not our kids - which has caused a few tears. But he's right, they can be dangerous, even with the net.

So, if you can't have that, I have an idea of a different big ticket outdoor toy that would work there in San Diego. A few families in our neighborhood have giant blow up waterslides. You plug it in, turn on the water and you have your own water park. I've seen a few simple ones, but there are some totally cool huge ones, too. I'll look for a link. This is not your mama's slip and slide....


(ps - Nathan said no to the giant waterslide, too.)

wendy said...

http://jumpinggreatfun.com/affordable_inflatable_slides.html

like that!