Monday, December 1

November Movie Review

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - I was looking forward to seeing this, but wasn't sure if I'd like it as well as I enjoyed the others. I did enjoy it, but it wasn't as good as the first Indy movies. That's ok, I suppose. It had the action with an interesting story with a bit of love stuff thrown in, but not too much. The one thing I didn't like was the silly cg stuff. It didn't look real AT ALL and just made it seem hokey. Cg is great and all, but if not used right then its just overkill and silly. There should be a limit to how much is used, or at the very least it should be supervised and thrown out if necessary. In this, throw it out. Anyway, overall the movie was fun and it was great to see Indy again!

2. 84 Charing Cross Road - I'm a sucker for most things Anthony Hopkins. So when I saw this movie with a young Hopkins on the cover, I snatched it up. I didn't care that it was made in the mid 80's or that movies made during that time to appeal much to me, but I nabbed it anyway. It had SIR Anthony Hopkins in it, do I need another reason??! This was a fun movie that I enjoyed very much, despite the 80's feel to it. It begins in 1949 as a female write in New York is looking for old English novels but can't find them in the US. So she writes to Hopkins who works in a book shop in England. They converse over the course of two decades as he fulfills her list of wanted books and she continues to request more. She makes a guenine friendship with Hopkins as well as with several others in the book shop. I enjoyed how the movie was told in the perspective of them writing letters to each other. At one point she almost makes it over for a visit, but ut doesn't work out. I think I know how they must have felt to not have been able to finally meet each other. I found myself empathising with them because that is how I would feel if I was about to meet a blog friend and it falling through. Actually, I was thinking a lot about the people I've met because of my blog and how I think of them as real friends even though we have never met. I think that may be a large reason why I was engaged in the movie as much as I was. Anyway, I liked the movie and would reccomend it to any of my bloggies (but they have to like Sir Hopkins as well!)

3. Grace Is Gone - This was a sad movie. If you have a family member serving in Iraq then I don't suggest you see this one, not right now anyway. It's about a man who learns that his wife was killed while serving in Iraq and how he is unable to tell his two daughters. In his inability to tell his girls, he takes them on an impromptu road trip. I can't say that the movie was particulary enjoyable, but it was interesting to watch this man and how he struggled to deal with the reality of his wife's death. If you're the type that likes sad tear-jerkers then this is for you. If not, then go rent a nice Christmas flick for the family.....It's a Wonderful Life is one of my favs!

1 comment:

Thany said...

84 Charing Cross Road is one of my favorites of all time.....BUT it is because the BOOK is sooooooo good. Get this: Anne Bancrift (who played the lead) was in love with the book so much that her husband-the amazingly hilarious Mel Brooks-bought her the filming rights to the book. It was a complete act of love for her to make the book. Isn't that awesome? I will always watch it if/when it is on tv. And I ALWAYS cry. :)