Friday, March 20

Ultimate Blog Party 2009 - Dress Code, Comfortable!!!

It's that time of year again!! It's the Ultimate Blog Party!!! I love this party, it's so much fun! I enjoy meeting new blogs and making 'friends'. The door prizes aren't too bad either. Go here and check it out....then sign up and do some party hopping!

Ultimate Blog Party 2009

So welcome to my humble little blog, my own corner of blog-land. I love having friends over to visit, but I'm not very adept at branching out making small talk. In fact, I usually have a difficult time making new friends. I'm just not that confident. And when I do finally step out it can bite me in the end.......like the time when my husband and I had moved to Portland and I was on my way to making some new girl friends......

We had been in Portland for a few months and had already visited many churches and finally found one to call home, and even a weekly couples bible study to be a part of too. The ladies of the church were having a Christmas evening one night and the other ladies of the bible study group invited me to join them at their table. I was thrilled! I thought about what I was going to wear and was all set to go.

I went to a new friends house and stood at her door step waiting for her to answer the door. As I stood there I mentally congratulated myself that I had made it this far and I looked forward to getting to know these ladies even more. Then she opened the door and I saw what she was wearing.....a nice skirt, sweater and (gasp) pantyhose! Me? What was I wearing??? I'm still embarrassed to say. I had mentally made the mistake of mixing up this gathering with another social event (a candle/bead party) and wore something waaaaaay too casual.

There I was, standing at the door looking at my new friend in her nice church-wear, as I donned a pair of off-white jeans, a soft gray mock turtle neck paired with a newish pair of white tennis shoes with reflective silver stripes on the side. Can you say AWKWARD??!! I just about died right there! How could I have been so stupid to think that an evening at a ladies Christmas event would be this casual??! I just wanted to melt into her porch right there. It's ok, just leave me behind and go on without me, really, it's ok!

It got worse. The other ladies arrived at the house as we were to carpool over to the church. They were all dressed nicely, some in dresses fit for the occasion. Then we headed over to the event. At least in the parking lot it was dark and no one would see my underdressedness. But as we crossed through the parking lot all I could think about was how my shoes were probably lighting up with every passing car! And my horror continued when we got inside. Of course all the other ladies were appropriately dressed in pretty Christmas dresses (picture lots of pantyhose and heels!). We set up the table with China plates and Christmas decorations. Then. Then! We began the evening with perusing different booths of vendors and craft tables. All I wanted to do was get to the part where we sit down, eat pretty deserts and listen to the speaker. It was my thought that once we were all seated that I wouldn't stick out too much, for I looked ok from the waist up. It took awhile, but we finally made it to the sit-down part. And from there I felt better. At the end I was more than ready to bolt for the door and get home, where I could privately die of embarrassment and never be heard (or seen) of again.

So, all that to say....I get nervous when meeting new people and trying to fit in. I'd like to make a good impression, but maybe that's why blogging is more my speed. I can express myself without having to think about how I look or if I'm having a good hair day!

So here you find yourself at my party. Please make yourself comfortable. We can swap embarrassing moments (or in my case, evenings!) or recipes (Southwestern White Chili and Lasagna Florentine, Chinese Chicken Salad), or whatever. My dress code for today....jeans and a t-shirt are absolutely acceptable. Reflective shoes, optional.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

if I were to win any door prizes, I'd sure like either of the $50 gift cards for Target (19, 21, 22), or the $100 gift card for Home Goods,or the pedometer looks like fun too!

18 comments:

Trish said...

Oh no! I bet they didn't even care though. I would have been so embarrassed to, but I really bet they could care less. I came over from the UBP and wanted to say hi! Be sure to stop by my blog to enter to win a super cute apron. http://www.sweetnsassygirls.com/2009/03/ultimate-blog-party.html

jodifur said...

I'm party hopping! Hop on over to my party if you have time!

~*Michelle*~ said...

Oh so happy to find another Jesus lovin mama! Stopping by from the UBP....nice to meet you!

Come on by my place sometime to say hello!

Peace
*~Michelle~*

The Stylish House said...

Deanne,
You are a sweet soul! If the tables were turned would you judge someone harshly because of their clothing? Some people will, but I don't think most would not. Remember to believe in yourself you’re a beautiful child of god. Cathy

Karen's Favorite Things said...

Oh yes, everyone has a story like this. Remember we are usually more hard on ourselves then others are. I really enjoyed your story - very open and honest. Blessings. Enjoy the UBP!

Cascia Talbert said...

Party hopping and just wanted to say hello!

Tiffany said...

I've had the same kind of thing happen. But I have to say I'd much rather have a casual dress party then ever have to meet up with pantyhose again!

Colette S said...

Nice to meet you!

Talk about a party!

I'm quite intrigued and am learning how to get around!

Just stopping by from 5minutes for moms blog party!

Allison said...

I'm stopping by from the UBP. Your post made me laugh, because we are so similar! I don't like any attention to be on me, so that would have been my worst nightmare! You have a great blog~I'll definitely be back! I'm always looking for new blogs for Christian women. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Hi! So nice to meet you! I am party hopping and participating too so stop in for a visit.

Anonymous said...

That totally sounds like something I would do!! :) That's the great thing about the internet, isn't it? No dress code. :)

Have fun party hoppin!

Eli's Lids said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!! That was too funny... sorry for laughing at your expense. It just made me think about a couple of weeks ago when my hubby and I were going to a married couples breakfast and I couldn't decide what to wear because I didn't want to be too casual or too dressy. It really is a big thing for us ladies and can make us feel part of the crowd or an outcast. Why is it so hard to get past that mental outfit barrier. We just started a new church and it totally stinks to have to start over in the firend area.
Ha... I'll stop typing now!

Super Fun Mama said...

Hi there, coming over as a blog hopper taking part in UBP. It is very nice to meet you and your blog. I have a blog at www.superfunmama.blogspot.com. It is a blog about the learning and fun activities I do with my tot. Very nice to meet you!

I am always freaking out about what to wear...I always feel either over or under dressed and never quite right...

Anonymous said...

Hi Deanne-

I am just stopping in from The Ultimate Blog Party to say hello. Come by my place to enter to win a LeapFrog Tag Reading System and some books. :)

Stacie
The Divine Miss Mommy
http://www.thedivinemissmommy.com
http://www.twitter.com/stacieinatlanta

Anonymous said...

Hello! Poppin’ in from The Ultimate Blog Party…all the way from Queensland, Australia! G’Day! I hope you have time to visit my party soon.

Ta!

I want to invite you to the Mommie Daze Virtual Baby Shower that I am hosting May 15 to June 8. This is an international even and there are prizes! Stop by my blog for all the details.

Anonymous said...

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com

Twitter: AboutParenting

tricki_nicki said...

Oh no Deanne! What a sweet story. I bet every one of those ladies were jealous that you were wearing comfy clothes!

Anonymous said...

canadian viagra 2007 viagra hmo buy viagra australian buy viagra online uk buy online viagra sample of viagra herbal viagra can viagra be used by women is there a female viagra soma and viagra prescriptions free viagra buying viagra online in britain viagra manufacturer recreational viagra use viagra rrp australia cost