Tuesday, December 5

Is It Really Christmas Season?


It doesn't feel like the Christmas season to me. I blame it on the weather. I'm just not used to a warm December. I mean really, high 70's in December, come on! It should fee like Christmas though. The stores are playing the right music, there are people outside the stores with their red buckets and ringing bells, I see Santa Claus and snowflakes on tv (although I have yet to watch It's A Wonderful Life, a must see for every Christmas season!) and a neighbor down the street has just about every inch of lawn space taken up by every concievable seasonal decoration (but hey, where's the tribute to Hanakuh and Kwanza?).

So, I don't quite feel like putting up decorations this year. I have,however, broken a rule of mine. Last year my mother-in-law gave the kids two childrens tapes of Christmas music and I have them playing in the truck now. I have never wanted children's music in the vehicle. Call me selfish but I just don't have a desire to listen to it. The kids have been happy to listen to our own music of choice and even ask for their favorites. They have been exposed to different types of music too! Music like Bluegrass (O Brother Where Art thou), Modern-techno (Ocean's 12 soundtrack), Celtic, Christian (Steven Curtis Chapman, Rich Mullins, FFH, etc) Theatre (Newsies soundtrack!) and even foreign languages (Ryan's portuguese stuff....his car, not mine). So my kids have had quite a different exposure to music than others. But 'tis the season, so I have broken my own rule and allowed childrens Christmas music in my truck. I'm sure they will enjoy it but it won't last long. I do have to admit that hearing Caleb sing along is mighty cute stuff.

Maybe I will bust out some Christmas decorations regardless of how I feel. We won't be getting a tree this year since we will not be home the week of Christmas (no reason to have a fire hazard left unsupervised). And maybe if I play some Harry Conick Jr. Christmas music then I'll feel more in tune with the holiday? Oh! I know....I can crank up the air conditioner and wear my chunky sweaters and make hot chocolate with tiny marshmellows and turn on the fire place (yes, I said 'turn on the fireplace', for it is gas and not the real deal)! If I do that then maybe I'll find It's A Wonderful Life on tv then finally feel in the mood for this holiday?

3 comments:

I am MommaCat said...

Hahahaha....Your a crack up!! I just got my decor out the other day and it felt a little odd. It has been nice here as well and I'm in denial that it's even December.

Amanda said...

We finally got our decorations out yesterday. It was snowing and it just felt right. That was until we were carrying boxes back from the shed to the house and I told Scott, "Lets move to Phoenix". It was sooooo cold! Enjoy your nice warm temps. I can mail you some snow and cold if you like. :D

PS I tagged you for a fun reading meme.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I'm so with you on the kids music! I can stand about ten minutes of it and then I start to twitch.

My hubby on the other hand loves to play it and sing along. Help meeeee!!

If you ever get a chance, Windham Hill's Winter Solstice collection is a great way to get into the Christmas groove, but gently. Instrumental for the most part...some really smooth variations on the classic songs. Love it!

Thanks for the advice by the way, I'm heating up!