Monday, December 4

Potluck of Disaster

Yesterday we went to a potlcuk with our new home group. Last week I asked for reciepes for a potato dish that I could take because I had none. I went with Carrie's recipe. Although it was very similar to Mary's recipe I went with Carrie's because it had exact ingredients and no bread crumbs (I didn't want to make crumbs or buy them). I forgot to put paprika on my list when I went shopping for the ingredients so I improvised and sprinkled curry on top instead. It was a risky move but it paid off! I got a few compliments on the dish but the biggest compliment was that there was none leftover! Whoo-hoo! Thanks for your reciepes!!!

The rest of the potluck was ok. There aren't any people our age or in the same stage of life in the group so it makes it difficult for me to connect with them. I'm so not good at small talk, and not having much in common makes it more difficult. I'm just plain terrible at being 'the new girl on the block'. Ryan does a great job of talking with people. I guess it is just one of those things that reflects the differences between us. *deep sigh* Most of the time I am so self-absorbed in these situations that all ideas at conversation completely eludes me and I come across as totally uninterested or boring. For example:

New person: "Hello!"
Me: "Hi."
New person: "So, how are you?"
Me: "Fine."
New person: "How are things with the kids?"
Me: "Good."
New Person: (silence)
Me: (silence, drawing a blank as to what to do or say next)
New Person: (they finish filing their drink and move on)

Pretty much that is how most conversations start, and end. It's not until later, on the way home, that I replay the tragic attempts at conversation with others and then think of numerous things I could have said. Doh! I feel like such an idiot during these times! I could have turned the questions around and asked how they are and or tried to recall something from a previous conversation to ask them about. But no, my mind totally shuts down and I draw a blank. It truly is a wonder I've made any friends at all in my life let alone met a decent guy and got married. I give all credit to God for there just isn't any other explaination!

During the potluck the kids were happlily engaged with the older kids at the house (two of which are their babysitters!). I did have to keep my eye on Isabel as she only wanted to climb the stairs any chance she got. When she wasn't climbing the stairs she managed to get her hands on a small porcelin container with potpouri. When Isabel realized that I saw her and was on my way to take it away, she prompty dropped it and broke the lid! Great. Fabulous. So not only am I a terrible conversationist but I let my kids run amuck and break things! Is there anything else I can add to my superb list of qualities? I apoligized but what good does that really do? Should I ask to replace it somehow? I'm sure the lady doesn't care, but shouldn't I make the effort anyway?

Hopefully there won't be any more all-family functions for a while. I'm not up for making small talk for a while anyway.

9 comments:

I am MommaCat said...

Awwwww, my poor fragile flower friend! Sorry the potluck didn't go as well as you would have liked. At least your Potato's were a hit :) If it makes you feel any better..I like you JUST THE WAY U ARE!

Deanne said...

Thanks Cat....your the bestest, ever! :)

Anonymous said...

I too dislike small talk functions like that. I think my job as a grocery clerk has really helped me improve my small talk abilities. Now I just need to work beyond the first 3 minutes of a conversation!

Are there any kids playgroups around that you could join? We seem to hang out more with people who have kids around the age of ours.

Heather

Anonymous said...

It is so hard being new! I feel for you, it can be so lonely. I usually make friends at church and have recently met nice ladies at the park and at story time at the library, but am not sure how to make the leap from nice ladies I see now and then to real friends. I second Heather's idea about looking for a playgroup with other moms. My town has a "Mom's club" and I think there are mom's clubs all over. I haven't joined it, but have heard it is a great way to meet moms with young kids.

My dad seems to be able to talk with anyone and one time I heard him say something like, "if you ever can't think of what to say, just ask the person about themselves. People always love to talk about themselves." That has saved me on a number of occaisions.

I'm no pro, but I'm working on being more conversational with people. Here are a few ideas on how to get conversation going:

Use any approaching holiday as fodder for conversation. "Are you doing anything fun for ____?" etc.

Ask how long they have lived in the area, if moved in recent years, ask about where they lived before.

Also, since you are still new in the area, you can ask about fun places to eat, must-see attractions in the area, etc.

Anonymous said...

P.S. You're good enough
You're strong enough
And doggone it! People like you!

I think you are a fun girl! It is fun getting to know you again after all these years!

Now I'm done writing a novel in your comments!

Deanne said...

Mary...thanks for the convo tips. I just hope I can remember them BEFORE I talk with people! :)

I've looked into MOPS but at this point Mae's school schedule conflicts with mommy group times. Same thing with the ladies bible study that meets during the day. I'm hoping that next year I can do more things that gets me in the mix with other ladies my age and stage of life.

Hey...anyone wanna come visit?? I've got 2 free passes for the zoo!! First come, first serve! :)

Anonymous said...

Our North Pole, Alaska frozen selves would LOVE to go to the sunny CA zoo!!! =)

Amanda said...

Sorry about your potluck of disaster. I am glad that your potatoes were a hit though! I am the same way when it comes to conversations and meeting people. I wonder how many potential "good friend" relationships I have not had because of my terrible ability to make small talk. I like the suggestions others have given you. I would be so lost without church and the church friends I have made.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Hiya...found you through Amanda's blog. I really identified with your post and just had to comment.

Don't you love it when complete strangers read one of your blog posts and suddenly think they know you? ~lol~

I spent the majority of my life being small-talk challenged. Okay, it was all kinds of talk, really. I don't quite know how to explain how I overcame it (but I did! I can babble with the best of them now! Or would that be the worst?). It had to do with realizing that being silent and uncommunicative brought me far more negative attention than saying something silly (which is what I always got paranoid about).

So I started asking people questions. Anything and everything. From the mundane to the incredibly personal stuff ("How's that make you feel?"). It's been about two years now, and wow! I can actually talk to strangers in the supermarket line!

Maybe if I figure out how I did it I can become a famous motivational speaker or something. =P