Sunday, February 3

January Movie Log

Another month means more movies watched. This was our movie watching experience last month:

1. Beat the Drum - This was a story about a village boy in Africa who takes a journey to the large city to make money for his poor family. The movie starts out with the death of his father and it turns out that the village is riddled with aids and many people are dying. Overall the movie was more about aids awareness than the life journey of this young boy. It was ok. The message was clear but in turn made the story a little less interesting by the way it was brought out.

2. The Iron Giant - Our latest family movie night movie. I had overheard a mom telling another mom about this movie and how good it was, and in my quest to find more movies to watch I added it to our list. It really was a great movie. I loved it! I totally recommend it for any young kid (or, in my case, 'older' kid - and what 'older' kid doesn't enjoy the voice of Harry Conick Jr.??)

3. Stardust - While Ryan was in London last month I took the opportunity to watch something that he may otherwise have not wanted to watch. Kim had recommended it last month and I'm glad she did. It was an enjoyable and fanciful story of a young man that lives next door to a hidden magical town. I enjoyed the humorous and whimsical story. Great suggestion Kim, thank you!

4. We Are Marshall - This movie was finally released on dvd! If I know that we will not make it to the theaters to see a particular film then I will add it to our queue (which happens 99.9% of the time). So, we were able to view it this past month. I always enjoy the types of movies that deal with real-life stories (of course there is always a higher tendency to shed some tears but I guess I can live with that). This movie was no exception, we enjoyed it and I think I was able to get through it without letting the tears fall (welling up in the eyes is one thing but letting them fall is quite another).

5. 3:10 to Yuma - We don't typically watch rated R movies and I can't really give an explanation as to why we did this time. Maybe because it was the pairing of Russel Crowe and Christian Bale? (they were good by the way) Whatever the reason, we watched it. No, my life is not the richer for it, but it was an entertaining flick none the less. I didn't care for the strong language and I always turn my head during bloody violence and the ending still baffles me. I'll just chalk this one up to another some-what entertaining movie night at home.

Our queue is still on the low side.......the suggestion box is open!

6 comments:

wendy said...

I love reading your movie suggestions. I am going to have to add stardust and We are Marshall to my list. We like the Iron Giant, too!

We just watched The Ulitmate Gift (or something like that) it was pretty good.

Your give away was totally cool! How fuN!

I am MommaCat said...

I have one suggestion, but you and Ryan or a friend would have to go out to the movies to see it....I just saw 27 Dresses and it was cute!

Lani said...

you're movie queue must look just like ours.... your movie lists are always quite similar. :>) We were tempted by the Russel Crowe/ Christian Bale combo in 3:10 to Yuma as well, but haven't watched it because of the R rating. They're two of my fav. actors, but have you noticed that EVERYTHING is rated R anymore? It's so annoying. Wish I had more suggestions for you, but we're running out of movies at the moment too... Good thing "Lost" is back on! :>P

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about the R rated movies. I've watch a couple of cleaned up R's and have been dissappointed. I'm happier with the cleaned up PG-13's!

And I agree with mommycat; 27 Dresses was way cute!

Amanda said...

I've seen 2,3,and 4. All very good. I also recommend "The Ultimate Gift" that Wendy recommended. We haven't really seen much lately. I agree with the "R" rating problem. So much nowadays is just trash!

Scott is leaving later this month for 10 days so I am definitely going to get my fill of chick flicks while he is gone! :S

ohAmanda said...

HC, jr! YUM.

Stardust! I loved that movie! Have you seen Mr. Magorium's Magical Emporium? Similar type of "magic". I liked it!