Tuesday, April 1

March Movie Review

Here's the list from last months movie queue!

1. Becoming Jane - First off I gotta say that I loved this movie! It is a biography of Jane Austen. Anne Hathaway played Jane and I thought she did a good job. To be honest I wasn't expecting much when I learned she was playing the part, no reason why, I just didn't think it would work well, but I was wrong. Before watching the movie I had no idea of what Jane's life was like or what happened. So the ending was a little shocking and sad. I totally recommend this movie!

2. Nicholas Nickleby - A movie adaptation of Charles Dickens book of the same name. I didn't care too much for it. I've seen other made-into-movie books of his and liked them immensely (Oliver Twist and Bleak House, to name a couple) but this movie is the exception to that rule. The guy who played Nickleby was too modern looking and just seemed too Hollywood Pretty Boy to me. Hathaway was in this movie too, but her performance was much better than his. The story was good but the acting wasn't, which is too bad. If BBC can get their hands on it then maybe it'll be something worth watching.

3. Meet the Robinsons - A family movie night flick, and a great one! I could see myself watching it over and over (kind of like Cars!). I laughed and enjoyed the characters and storyline. I highly recommend!

4. Wild Hogs - Not good. At all. Oh there were a few funny parts, but some of the humor was off-color and not appreciated. The story was not exactly what I thought it was and the acting, for the caliber of actors that were in the film.....not good either. I do not recommend this to anyone. Ever.

5. I Am legend - Not a bad movie, actually a bit better than I anticipated. If you like tension filled thrilles (is there another kind?) then you'll like this one. But don't be surprised by the bit of gore and smidge of violence (that part I don't care for, just let the record show).

6. Enchanted - Love, love, loved it! It was cute and funny and just plain made me laugh! Ok, so it was a bit on the cutsie side, but I don't care....I loved it!

7. My Brilliant Career - I didn't know it, but this movie was based on the autobiographical novel of the same name (author was Miles Franklin - amazing what one can discover via Wikipedia, isn't it?!). This was an Australian film and done some years ago, 1979 to be exact. I enjoyed it, even though I thought it was just a story until the end when it gave a little update on the happenings of the character. In some ways it was not unlike Becoming Jane in the way the writer grew through older teen years and how love effected her life. I liked the movie and don't mind recommending it.

8. Rendition - Another tension filled movie. Does the US really allow 'rendition' as legal?? Scary to think that it is truth. This movie was not based on a true story, however it is disturbing to know that it's probably not too far off base.

9. Michael Clayton - Again, not my type of movie, but it wasn't too bad. It did have it's fill of language that I thought unnecessary (which, for me, always is). The story line was interesting and the way it was drawn out was done well, the acting was pretty good too (and I'm not much of a Clooney fan, he always seems to me to be trying not to smile or laugh, but not so here). Overall I'd say it was ok, but I wouldn't recommend it.

My favorite movie of the month is a toss up between Becoming Jane and Enchanted. Maybe I'll go with 'Jane'? And that would only be because it was based on the life of Jane Austen. But then again....I did really enjoy Enchanted. Ahhh! I don't know! You watch 'em and let me know what you think.

5 comments:

tricki_nicki said...

I loved Enchanted too. We just watched it with our three boys and they loved it too. I gotta get some princess stuff in this house somehow!!

ohAmanda said...

I loved Enchanted and Meet the Robinsons. I thought Meet the Robinsons was the sweetest movie. What a great message! I was so surprised at how much I liked it!

Lani said...

We loved Meet the Robinsons too! It was cute and clean.

Just for the record, Becoming Jane isn't exactly biographical--- there's no record of her having any such relationship- they based the entire movie off of one letter. So suffice it to say, there's a LOT of, shall we say, creative license taken? That being said, I enjoyed the movie.

Our favorite movie we saw recently was Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. So sweet and cute and clever!

orchard_girl said...

I enjoy your movie reviews!
We loved Enchanted. I've been wanting to watch Becoming Jane, but haven't had a chance. I've wondered if Meet the Robinson's was any good. Also like the review of Mr. Magorium's... above me. I often worry about getting kid movies that have way too much adult humor in them.
Thank you!
Heather

Amanda said...

Loved Enchanted!!!! I know it is cheesy, but I still loved it! I also really liked Becoming Jane. Didn't care for I am Legend though. I am too much of a wimp and it was scary to me. :(