Monday, September 1

Summer Movie Review

I say 'summer' because I didn't do a July review last month (did you notice?). It's been a busy summer, and between visitors, vacations and the Olympics we just haven't had time to watch any movies. We did watch one movie last month. Just one. That's it. August was not much different with three. So, here is what we saw this 'summer'.

1. Mr. & Mrs. Smith - I enjoyed this movie, although I couldn't get out of my mind that this movie was when Bragelina first worked together.....and we all know how that ended! But anyway, it was a fun movie that, in a fun way, made light of marriage and the little things that irritate each other and how it can be resolved (but hopefully most married folk aren't trained assassins with multiple hidden weapons about the house).

2. Vantage Point - Intriguing movie about the President being in Spain and shot during a speech event. It was interesting to see how the plot unfolded while seeing it through the eyes of four different people. I didn't expect it to end the way it did, but it was good. However, I must admit that the group behind the attack didn't go as deeply into the storyline as it should have.

3. Into the Woods - This was filmed during a stage production, and I had seen it back in high school. I liked it then, and like it now! It takes several characters/stories from a few different fairy tales and they all interact when going into the woods for some reason or another. That all happens in the first act, the second act deals with the consequences of the actions taken back in act one. Very humorous and clever. Love it, love it! If you like plays, musicals and wit then you'll like this too!

4. 27 Dresses - I hadn't wanted to see this when it came out. I thought the storyline was different than it really was. But I gave in after hearing it talked up by a few friends. It's still a typical romantic comedy with a little too much profanity and always a make-out-wake-up-the-next-day-because-they-slept-together scene that could be left out entirely and it still would have made a nice movie. But that's just me I suppose. So, if you're in the mood for a predictable, but admittedly funny, romantic comedy then this is for you. (the references about bridesmaids dresses and caring for a bride were not lost on me, that was most of the funny stuff right there!)

5. Bridge Over the River Kwai - This late '60's movie featured Alec Guiness (as in SIR Alec Guiness, you know....the original Obewan?!) I had been perusing the movie selctions and somehow stumbled across this movie. I thought it was a classic, at least it sounded like one, so in our queue it went. The movie, overall, was ok. I can see how it was liked, back in the day, but by today's standards it was a bit drawn out. I enjoyed the characater developement but wished that they didn't waste so much time with non essential scenes that, honestly, we sped past using our fast forward button!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Good review! I'm impressed that you even saw that many movies. I have to wrack my brain to try to remember the last one I saw...um...
The only movie on your list that I've seen is 27 Dresses, and I liked it. But yeah, predictable.

Michelle Coffman said...

Great reviews! Action, drama, fluff, classic...you got it all!

Watched Vantage Point with my kids in our never-ending search for "non-kid" movies that are still reasonably kid friendly. We really liked it!