Monday, September 7

Top Ten Tuesday - Summer Movies


I used to do a monthly movie review, but we haven't been watching many movies lately. And then I just got lazy. Maybe to get myself back into the groove it'll help to just recap some of the movies we've seen over the past few months. Here goes....


1. The Visitor - this was a lesser known movie, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. It's about a widowed man who stumbles upon some illegal immigrants who've taken up residence in his New York apartment, unbeknownst to him since he doesn't live there. Anyway, he graciously helps them as they have no where else to go. He develops a friendship with them as one of the immigrants teaches him how to play the African drum. I enjoyed seeing the relationships develop as the movie progressed. If you like character development and a good story line, then I recommend this one.

2. Marley & Me - I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but was pleasantly surprised. It was a good family movie (although we didn't watch this one with the kids) about the life of a couple and how they brought Marley, their dog, into their lives. I liked how the story spanned over the course of years in the life of this couple.

3. Last Chance Harvey - Dustin Hoffman plays a divorced man who travels to England for his daughters wedding. He has not been involved much in her life and feels like a third wheel for this event. As he is traveling, he comes across Emma Thompson's character and spends the day with her, and then invites her to be his guest at the wedding. It was neat to see how Hoffman's character came to grips with his relationship with his daughter as well with other aspects of his life. I wouldn't say it was realistic, but it wasn't a bad way to spend an evening.

4. John Q. - I'm not excited to share that we saw this movie, but what can I say, we're suckers for a Denzel flick. This movie was intense and dramatic. It deals with the health care system as well as injustice in our world. Bring those things together along with a sick and dying child and you won't be surprised with the language and violence. Some aspects of it were, of course, unrealistic, however, it does have a feel for real life. I do wish it wasn't as violent (in language and drama) but given the situation I suppose it's understandable.

5. Seven Pounds - I can be a sucker for a Will Smith movie too. I'm not sure if I can do a review on this one without giving anything away. It was a bit of a mystery in the way the story line was brought out. You know what? I'm not going to give any details.....but I will say that it was thought provoking and some good discussions could be had after watching it. Although, I will say that I didn't agree with the his character and what he did. Ha! How's that for a cliffhanger?!

6. The Express - I love a based-on-real-life kind of movies, and this was one of them. It's the story of Ernie Davis and how he played football in college and became the first to achieve the Heisman Trophy as an African American. Great movie, highly recommend!

7. Man On Wire - We like documentaries too. This one is about the Frenchman, Philippe Petit, who walked a tight rope between the world trade towers back in 1974. The story was interesting in itself, but what I thought was amazing (aside from his incredibly daring/insane stunt) was the footage of the towers being built and the history they hold.

8. Duplicity - I'm not happy about reveling that we saw this one either. It was a good spy/heist type movie, but it's the love affair part I don't care for. Well, it would be ok if they'd leave the steamy scenes out, we don't really need them anyway for a good movie. Aside from the steaminess, I enjoyed the story.

9. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Upfront, again with the steaminess and inappropriate 'stuff'!!! It's not necessary for a good flick, it really isn't. But I am thankful for the forward button on the remote so I can easily move past the scenes I don't care to burn my brain with! Aside from those few parts, I really enjoyed this one! No wonder it was up for so many awards, didn't it win best picture? The story line and characters were incredible! I liken it as a Forrest Gump-type movie, you know, the unlikey character that we love and follow through his life? Yeah, that's this movie!

10. Flash of Genius - Another real-life flick. This is about the guy who invented the intermittent windshield wipers then had it stolen from him by Ford. He spends the next (too) many years of his life chasing after them in court. I won't ruin the ending, but I will say that no matter what the outcome was, I don't think it was worth it! If you've seen the movie you may understand what I mean.

Well, there you go folks, another round of my stimulating movie reviews. If you have any suggestions for movies, we are always looking to add to our queue!

Oh, and if you have a Top Ten list, please visit Oh Amanda and add yourself to the list!

4 comments:

ohAmanda said...

I love your movie reviews. I wanted to see Benjamin Button, too...I'm w/you on Will Smith.

Stefany said...

ooh, great post. I now have a few movies I want to see! :)

mama hall said...

great list! some of our recent faves: The Game Plan, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, Swing Vote. oh, and i luv Will Smith too :)

Unknown said...

I am sadly out of touch with current movies. I haven't been to a movie theater since December 2006 when I was pregnant with our daughter. We do love movies, but watch them on DVD at home.

Thanks for sharing your great list!