Yesterday we had an open house for our new home, and as this past week closed in on 'party day', I had a spur of the moment thought - I think I shall put together a scavenger hunt for the kids! The idea was to give the kids something to do while the adults are busy doing boring things, like, talk. Within a few hours of my most brilliant plan, I had a list of ideas compiled.
I thought of things for the kids to go out and find, some in the house but mostly all outside in the backyard. There were only six things on the list but I think it was enough to occupy them. I took close-up pictures of certain areas or objects and then paired the picture clue with the question. These were questions;
"how many steps are there?" - partial picture of the steps at the back of the property
"what kind of fruit is on this tree?" - picture of the lemon tree
"who sleeps here?" - partial picture of Mae's bunk
"how many orange ribbons are hidden in the backyard?" - picture of one stand of orange thread on a branch (seventeen in all, this kept them very occupied!)
"find the five hidden letters around the yard and unscramble the word"
"Find this object, look inside and take one." - picture of the giant terra cotta pot in the yard
The last clue led them to the giant pot, and inside I had put goodie bags for each kid. And may I just say how much I dearly love the dollar store??? It comes in so handy on occasions like this where I don't want to spend a whole lot but still would like to give something more than a solitary piece of candy. So, anyway, I think the scavenger hunt was a hit! The kids were pretty occupied with their search that they were well entertained and not getting into trouble or getting grumpy with wanting to leave a boring party.
I am thankful for last-minute-party-saving ideas!
3 comments:
That is such a cute idea! I'm sure they just loved it!
What an awesome idea - I want to do something like this for my son's b-day in March, and I'm particularly digging the counting ribbons idea
What a great idea! You're so creative!
Post a Comment