Saturday, October 28

It Is Well With My Soul

Four months ago today my family and I loaded into the rental car and left our Michigan home. It is sad because the clarity of my recollection of all-things-St.-Joe is slipping. The things I knew -my friends, church,and home, as well as places we went and things we did- are not as fresh in my mind as they were just a few months ago. I miss it all! I miss the deepness of friendship and the routine of our life (but maybe not the snow).

Life has continued in St. Joe without us, as life tends to do. It is depressing in some ways. I was looking forward to many things. The church has opened up the new worship center and life within the church has changed, and we are not there. Our neighbor got married this summer and I was looking forward to getting to know his new wife. The main floor bathroom was completed in our house just before we moved and now the new tenants will get to enjoy it, but not I.

It's funny how life can move on in one place but seem to stand still in another. I hear of outings, happenings and gatherings and I can see it all in my mind as if I were there. I know I am not forgotten by friends I've left behind, but it sure is lonely here without new friends to share daily life with. If only Michigan wasn't so far away. Funny, I thought that same thing when we moved there, and my thoughts haven't changed. So, St. Joe is moving on and I feel like I am standing still as I wait for things to move forward.

I long to make connections here and I remind myself that the Lord will provide friends in his time. He knows my need and will bring them in the fullness of time. Those thoughts are reassuring to me, but I continue to battle impatience all the same. I am slowly meeting new people so I know that friendships are begining. *sigh* It's just not something that comes easily for me, never has.

So, here I sit, thinking of my St. Joe friends and my once-upon-a-time St. Joe life. And I thank the Lord for his blessings of good friends near and far and for his loving guidence that has brought us to our new home. In my mind right now is an old hymn written by Horatio Spafford called 'It Is Well With My Soul". Spafford wrote this song as he was crossing the Atlantic after his four daughters died on thier own ship crossing just a few months prior. He was able to be at peace while experiencing deep loss. And although my loss is nothing compared to Spafford's, this is how I feel now....contentment admist the tumultuous journey.

"For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strenth." Philipians 4:11-13

5 comments:

Amanda said...

What a sad yet powerfully uplifting story about that song. We trully can "bloom where we are planted", we just have to work at it and give it time.
{{HUGS}} and well wishes to you in your new and exciting journey.

Anonymous said...

Being here in Alaska, most of the people we've met are like us - transplants from somewhere else. I can really relate to your posting...
We've been here now for 11 years so California is no longer home....Alaska is where my heart is now. It's hard to move and it takes time to begin to love another place. You are wise to wait on the Lord - He will provide all that you need!

Anonymous said...

Deanne,

Send me an email and I'll send you the link and password to our family site too!

Diane in Alaska

wendy said...

What a moving song (and story). That is just beautiful. Moving is so hard. waaaa.

Anonymous said...

Hi Deanne,

I have to email you the user name and password but I don't have you email address because it's not listed your blog.

Can you send me an email and I'll send you the info on how to reach our family blog?! =)

Diane in Alaska
aksunny@gci.net