Friday, May 30

In Love With Peanut Butter All Over Again

About a year and a half ago Isabel showed signs of a peanut allergy, twice. Then later it was confirmed in a blood test for allergies. Her reactions were always minor so I had hoped that in time she would out-grow the allergy. I was told by the doctor that it was a possibility, and I've been holding onto that hope ever since.

A few weeks ago I got my wish.

We were at the park with friends and I always pack a simple lunch of pbj's for Caleb and I as well as an alternative sandwich for Isabel. When I wasn't looking, Isabel had climbed up to the picnic table, got into the bog-o-lunch and ate half of my pbj! At first I was alarmed, but since I had a one-dose thingy of Benedryl in the truck I decided to wait it out and see if Isabel had a reaction. I watched her for about 20 minutes as she ran around and played, and nothing developed.

The next day I decided to try it again, this time in a controlled environment (at home with Benedryl at the ready). By Ryan's request, I made her a smaller sandwich than what she had had the day before. Again, nothing ever occurred.

Do you know what this means??? It means that I can now add the most basic of kid staples into her diet! A peanut butter sandwich!!

Who knew such a little thing could bring such joy at a pbj?

Thank you Lord for the unnecessary, but totally appreciated, blessing of the dissappearance of the allergy!!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Hip, Hip, Hooray for the PB & J! That is so great!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad her allergy seems to have gone away!

Thany said...

Peanut Butter is a nectar found straight from heaven. Especially the Skippy Creamy brand.

Welcome back to PB for all!!

Anonymous said...

I too am happy for you and Isabel... how sad for her not to be able to partake in the yummy pbj.

By the way... I like your new template.

Mom