I feel like our recent movie watching has dwindled over the past couple months. Last month we watched a total of four. Haven't we watch more than that in a typical month?? I also think that with the summer programs that are now starting up, that we won't be watching as many movies with our Blockbuster Online account. Between 'So You Think You Can Dance' and 'The Mole' that's three week nights right there! And Ryan is usually fried come Friday night and is not up for watching a full length movie. I guess that leaves us with two to three nights a week for movies. Oh well, that's the beauty of our Blockbuster account, we keep the movie(s) until we are ready to watch them, then return them later.
Anyway, here is what we saw last month:
Kite Runner - I had heard good things about this movie and was not disappointed. The story is fictional but has the feel of one that was true. It has it's deep/disturbing issues but overall it was a great movie. It's one of those that after it's over, you sit back in silence and just think about what you just saw. I enjoyed watching the main character develop as it followed a young boy in the beginning of the film then picks up his life later as a man in his 30's. I don't think I can do a good job of reviewing this movie.....I just don't feel like going over all the intricacies of this film. I do recommend it, however it is not for the faint of heart as it is a more deeply emotional movie set in the modern times of Afghanistan.
Persuasion - Ahhhh, I just love Jane Austen movies, and I think this one if my favorite (with P&P and Sense & Sensibility at a very close second!). It had been a while since I had seen it so I felt it was time to see it again. It is a must-see for anyone who loves Jane's books and made-into-movie films. What more can I say.....Captain Wentworth is a great example of a woman's hero for love! I'm swooning even as I write this.
Little Women - I grew up watching the Katherine Hepburn version of this movie, and when the newer version (with Wynonna Rider) came out in the mid 90's I didn't think much of it. How does one compare Hepburn to Rider? You can't, it's simply not possible. But it's been ages since I've seen the older version, so I thought I could now watch the newer one and enjoy it. And I did! Hepburn was no longer clear in my mind and I was able to watch Rider portray Jo without really seeing Rider. Does that make sense? Alas, I enjoyed the movie and ever so glad to see it again (it doesn't hurt that Christian Bale is in it either!).
Cloverfield - Ok, this was a strange one. The basic premise is that an alien is on the rampage through the streets of New York with people running away as craziness ensues. Not an original concept in the film industry. However, the difference was in the perspective of the storytelling or view of the audience. The entire movie was shot through what seems like a persons video camera. You can hear the person holding the camera and talking with his comrades, as well as the comrades talking to the camera/cameraman. It is complete with shaky camera handling. At first I wasn't thrilled with the concept, but it grew on me and was able to watch the movie without a whole lot of distraction from the film making. Overall it was a creative and entertaining movie. I would recommend it IF you aren't afraid of a thriller/mystery sci-fi movie. I hear they are trying to do a sequel, although Ryan and I are not sure how they will be able to pull it off (if you've seen the movie you'll know what I mean).
**Our queue is dwindling. Suggestions are most welcome! (hint hint)
Sunday, June 1
May's Movie Review
Posted by
Deanne
at
1:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I was wondering how Kite Runner was....maybe I will have to rent that next.
I just saw Martian Child with John Cusack....it was a cute and heartwarming movie...maybe you can add that to your queue :)
I was just at Blockbuster today and almost rented Kite Runner...I think I will get it Friday.
I also looked for the Anne of Green Gables sequels and they had none of these movies there.
Today I did rent The Miracle Worker...so I will let you know what I think.
I a really into renting Classics now, since I never read them in school. I have been wanting to watch Little Women, as well...don't have time to read now, so I will get the movie now, thanks to your review. But for a first-timer, would you recommend the older or newer version to start with?
That version of Little Women is my allll time fave. I used some of it's music for my bridesmaids to walk down the aisle.
Suggestion...
"Dummy" with Adrian Brody. He is super cute and although it is Rated R, it is "only" for language. The movie was totally funny and heartwarming at the same time. Not too chick-flicky.
Post a Comment