I remember taking a typing class my freshman year in high school. The classroom had about six long tables, three on each side of the room, with an isle down the center of the class. On each table there were three or four typewriters.
Mr. Phillips was my teacher. And he was a stickler for not looking at your fingers while typing! Ho boy, don't let him catch you looking down at the keys instead of at the book as you type! No sir. If caught, Mr. Phillips would take a half sheet of paper and tape it just above the top line of the keys so that when you were typing it would cover your hands and keep you from seeing the keys. Fortunately, I was never caught. Caught being the operative word, because I was certainly guilty of peeking.
Funny that I learned to type on a typewriter, isn't it? Wait, I'm dating myself here. Moving on!
I consider myself to type pretty fast. And I was curious as to exactly how fast I am. So I went over to TypingTest.com to find out. Now I don't feel so confident. My highest was 58 wpm (with a 98% accuracy). I know I could have a higher number if I would stop going back to correct my mistakes. Oh, and there is also that nasty little habit of peeking at the keys. Mr. Phillips would not be pleased.
So what's your WPM? Does Mr. Phillips need to come over with his little piece of paper to help you along?
Saturday, November 22
T-Y-P-I-N-G
Posted by
Deanne
at
9:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Deanne, I learned to type on a typewriter too. I think it might have been the last year our high school taught it on those before switching to computers.
For the two years we lived in Monterey before we moved here, I worked for an insurance company in their publications department and my main job was typing. Typing typing typing, with a little editing thrown in for kicks. Anyway, at some point I took a typing test and my score was 90 words per minute. I'm pretty sure my speed and accuracy are much slower now, but it is one of my only bragging rights!!
What a neat find on the internet. Like Mary, I also take a little pride in my typing skills. I took the tests and I've still got it! Thanks for the fun connection.
What a neat find on the internet. Like Mary, I also take a little pride in my typing skills. I took the tests and I've still got it! Thanks for the fun connection.
I had Mr. Phillips too!
Isn't is so weird that our kids will always have computers & email & internet & everything? I remember taking a computer class where we learned, step-by-step, how to send an email. I'm sooooo old!
I dropped out of typing twice (on typewriters). Therefore, I use the hunt and peck method. It's terrible.
Post a Comment