Thursday, February 1

January Movie Log

More movies viewed by us last month. Here's what we saw:

  1. Lady in the Water (another film by the guy who did The Sixth Sense, I can't pronounce his name....I call him 'Sham-a-lam-a-ding-dong'. Ok, not very nice, but it makes my husband laugh. Anyway, the movie was good. Not the guys' best, but interesting.)
  2. Sketches of Frank Gehry (Gehry is a well known architect of today and this was a documentary of his work. We enjoyed the film very much. He is certainly thinks outside the typical 'box' when designing buildings and structures. It was also refreshing to see that this man, who is extremely talented, is not caught up with himself. If you like documentaries and art/design then I highly recommend this film.)
  3. I Am Sam (this was an interesting film about a man who is mentally retarded and needs to legally fight to keep his 8 year old daughter. I can't say that it is very realistic, but it made me think more about the 'system' in place that takes children away from their parents. So, I guess I'd have to say this was a thought provoking movie. Good, would recommend.)
  4. Grease (we had never seen this movie and thought maybe we should since it is a classic. I'm a little confused as to why it is considered a classic....what's all the fuss about regarding this movie anyway? I thought it was ok.)
  5. Run Lola Run (German movie about a lady who has 20 minutes to save her boyfriends life. The movie had three different outcomes. It was interesting, we enjoyed it!)
  6. Behind the Sun (Brazilian movie about a two brothers that are caught up the family rivalry with a neighboring family. It's definitely not an 'upper' movie, but it was done well. Sad but interesting story.)
  7. The Apple Dumpling Gang (Caleb and I watched this together. It was fun to see it after so many years. I don't think Caleb quite understood what it was about but he sat in my lap the whole time, and that is priceless!)
  8. The Love Bug (this was our first family movie night. Great success! Kids loved it, and so did us grown ups.)
  9. Schultze Gets the Blues (German film. Borrrrr-rrrrring!!!!)
  10. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (yes, we've seen the trilogy before and decided it was time to watch it again. Still good! I am understanding a whole lot more this time around too.)
  11. House of Sand (Brazilian movie. 3 generations of mother/daughter as they live in wasteland of Brazil. It was interesting, we liked it. **we did have to use the feature on our dvd that allows us to skip to the next scene, for adult situation purposes..that's all I'm gonna say about that!)
  12. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (two down, one more to go!)
I think my favorite movie was Run Lola Run. The movie was definitely artistic in the way it was done, it was odd, but I liked it! I also liked how it had three different outcomes. It's funny how much I am enjoying all these foreign films. At first I watched them because Ryan picked them out. I was never one that liked the idea of reading a movie, the concept was strange to me, but I'm getting the hang of it now and am enjoying it very much! (for the most part that is.....Schultze Get the Blues was a dull film, to say the least. Germans certainly have a different perspective on film making....too many scenic views/still shots). Anyway, I am loving this Blockbuster thing we've got, it's fun! I feel like I'm becoming culturally diverse. *big grin*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll have to check out Run Lola Run. Sounds like an interesting flick.

I am MommaCat said...

LOL.....Had to crack up about the "Shamalamadingdong" name! I love his movies b/c he is very deep and creative. Have you seen "House of Sand and Fog" w/ Jennifer Connely? It's interesting...I think u would either like it or hate it :)

wendy said...

What an interesting selection of movies. I have seen Sam I Am, and the Apple Dumpling Gang. I will have to look for Run Lola Run. But not the lake one, that looks too scary for me!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Ooo....love the reviews - thanks! Always looking for good movies.

And I too cracked up at the Sham-a-lam-a-ding-dong!

You funny!