Another month means more movies!
1. Evelyn (based on actual events that changed the Family Law in Ireland in 1953. Movie was ok, but it was compelling since it was a true story.)
2. Her Majesty (not a true story- about a girl that is basically obsessed with her Queen (Elizabeth II) and writes too many letters asking her to visit the little town she lives in. Oh she is a good friend and student and learns things along the way....blah blah blah. Boring, silly film - basically a waste of time)
3. Something the Lord Made (intriguing film, based on actual events and relationships, about two medical pioneers in the field of heart surgery. Takes place in the 1920's through 50's and touches on racial issues of the time. Although it was a little slow at times I really enjoyed it and would recommend if your into docu-dramas (if that is a real term).
4. Drumline (Ryan had wanted to see this movie for a while and it finally came up on our que, so we watched it. Silly (as in immature) movie about a young college student in the band who needs to learn to play as a team....blah blah blah.)
5. Warm Springs (HBO flick about FDR and his affliction with polio and the recovery he went through at a place called Warm Springs. Again, I enjoyed the docu-drama and would recommend.)
Whoops!!!!....forgot to add this one!
6. Five Kids and It (this was our latest flick for family movie night. I was pleasantly surprised with this one! It's pretty good for a kid movie with no super scary parts. It is very similar to The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe in its story line....5 kids get shipped off to a huge relatives house while dear Dad fights in the WWII, kids find an off-limits room where their adventure begins. For a family movie it's good and I would recommend it)
My favorite for the month is a tie between Something the Lord Made and Warm Springs. Both were very interesting and made we want to know more!
Wednesday, August 1
July 2007 Movie Log *updated*
Posted by
Deanne
at
8:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I sure look forward to your movie reviews each month!
I love your movie reviews, it always gives me ideas for my queue(?)
The only one we have seen is 5 Children and It. I like that little boy actor, and we had read the book, so we were familiar with the story. Fun!
Wendy....do give your own reviews too, we need queue inspiration from time to time! (hence our less than stellar list from last month)
I'm impressed that you watch five movies a month...we're terrible movie rental people...but we love movies!
I am embarrassed to say that I had not heard of any of these movies! How out of touch is that!!!!
Side note: we rented Happy Feet the other night - don't waste your money! Maybe I was just in a bad mood, but I just thought it was dumb and had a lot of things that could have been taken as extremely political and anti-religion.
Jenn...don't feel like you are out of touch, the movies were not BIG ones but more of the lesser known/cable variety. Unfortunately we have already seen Happy Feet. Didn't like it and I agree it was heavy on the political stuff (save the penguins! phht!) But thanks for the warning!
Post a Comment