Monday, June 2

Worth A Thousand Words, Or Maybe Just A Smoothie

Saturday I took Mae and Caleb to the library and got them signed up for library cards (thank you Mr. Benjamin Franklin!). They were quite excited about having their very own cards. My plan is to use them a lot this summer to help pass the time for us all.

While we were there, I checked out some of the things they've got going on this summer. In addition to a reading program that gives them a neat little package of goodies once they've read ten books, I also noticed they have a photo contest. Basically, the kids are to take their own pictures of insects or bugs (ewe!). First place prize gets a $10 gift card for a bookstore and the Honorable Mention receives a book bag from the library. So, we have been taking the camera with us when we go on our regular walks, in hopes of finding a bug to capture on the camera. So far Mae has taken a picture of some kind of beetle.



And Caleb took this one of a swarm of bees making a hive on the eave of a house.



Neither pictures are the greatest, but I don't think it is fair to do any editing on them since they are to be done solely by the kids. However, I am saving their pictures on the computer, and when the time comes then we can see which are the best and submit those ones. But I think Caleb is waiting to spy a 'praynis manis' for his picture! (his words, not mine. but how stinkin' cute is that?....'praynis manis', I love it!)

Not a bad little summer project for the kids. I think it would be so much fun for them if they were to win. If not, well, then maybe Mama will have to take them to Jamba Juice for their own little prize.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your budding little photographers!

Anonymous said...

That is fun! Neat to see the kids out taking pictures! denise

Anonymous said...

Just saying hello so you know that I am reading and trying to stay in touch with your life.

Thany said...

ANYthing that gets kids behind a camera lens is a good thing! Awesome!

Ivymamma said...

How fun - our library just lets the kids enter a raffle with each book that they have read. Unfortunately, only a few kids win. Hard for the hundreds that don't! I think I'll have to come up with a mommy prize.

Anonymous said...

Ewwwww..that is a BIG BEETLE!!! =)