I like to figure things out, and if given even an teensy bit of info I can easily solve a mystery. Ryan may not have known this about me at this point, but he did a pretty good job of throwing me off when it came to giving me my ring.
I was anxious to get that band of gold and diamond on my finger. I was ready to stick out my hand at any moment! But every weekend Ryan kept me waiting. We hadn't even set a date yet and I was waiting to be 'official' before we did (but that didn't stop me from ordering my dress!). It didn't take me too long before I figured out that he was waiting for my birthday to give me my ring. Ryan was going to take me to San Fransisco for the day, and I knew, just knew!, that he was going to give it to me then. I was absolutely, almost, certain.
So I waited.
I waited in the house when he came to pick me up. But he had to use the restroom first before we quickly left. That's ok, I'd rather have him give it to me when we're in the city anyway.
I waited as we sat on a blanket in Golden Gate Park and had our picnic lunch. That would have been a nice place. It would have been a great setting for a momentous occasion.
But still no ring.
I waited in the car as we parked outside the San Fransisco Zoo. I thought 'Ok, the zoo is......well, nice. I can imagine Ryan producing a little box when we sit by the monkeys cage. That can work.'. But before we got out of the car to go inside the zoo, Ryan gave me a present! It was a large present (large when one is expecting a small package containing a ring, that is). But it was a teddy bear. With no ring. It was just another birthday gift. And again, no ring graced my hand as we returned to the car after the zoo either! *hmph!*
And still I waited as we walked in and out of shops on Pier 39. Wouldn't an official proposal at the end of the pier make for a romantic story? Well, it didn't happen there either. And it had started to rain and our day was winding down, so we decided to head home.
By this point I was very much disappointed and inwardly embarrassed. We were driving back home and all I could think of was how I had told everyone, my family, friends, co-workers, that I was getting my ring that weekend. The next day was Monday and I dreaded going to work with a naked finger. But as we drove home, Ryan said something about renting a movie or doing something else when we got back into town. And a little light of knowingness began to glow, deep down inside me. I knew Ryan's plans for the day were not yet over. Hope was born! My ring was coming!!!!
As we pulled into town and Ryan took me to my parents house, after we picked up a movie to watch, I went inside to my waiting parents. Thankfully no one jumped up to ask about a ring or details of the day, and as Ryan got settled I quietly talked with my mom and sadly told her that I did not get my ring (there was still a small part of me that was not convinced I was getting it that night, so I truly was embarrassed and sad to tell her). The night was coming to a close and so my parents said goodnight and went to bed. But Ryan and I still had our movie to watch.
As we settled in for the movie, Ryan gave me a card. Another birthday card. This one had a black and white picture of two kids dressed up as adults (which were quite popular those days). The little boy was standing in front of the little girl and was holding a bunch of red roses out to her. On the inside of the card was Ryan's written words of adoration and declaration of love..........and his official request for marriage. Of course I had tears in my eyes at this point, and as I closed the card I told him 'yes'. Then!, finally!, after all this time!!!, he brought out the little band of gold and diamond I'd been waiting for all day, and he slipped it on my finger. Ryan had secretly hid the ring in the bathroom when he had picked me up earlier that day, and the entire day had been planned to string me along (the stinker!).
So I went to work the next day with such a story to tell! But I didn't wear my ring. I wanted to show my mother first, and she had left before I got up that morning (hey, it was a late night so I had slept in, ok?!). But as soon as my shift was over, I raced home, put on my ring and drove to my mothers work to show her!
Soon after, we set a date. And I just had this feeling that July 13th was going to be a great day.
Monday, November 17
First Comes Love, part 3
Posted by
Deanne
at
6:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
If Josh had made me wait through all that for a proposal I just might have made him wait a day or two for an answer!
How funny!! I love how you wrote this story!
Post a Comment