Thursday, November 6

October Movie Review

It's that time of the month again! Noooo, not that! It's movie review time! Here's what we saw using Blockbuster Online;

1. Jumper - this movie is a classic example of something that I would not pay to see at the theater but somewhat enjoyed at home. It's a sci-fi adventure about a guy who discovers that he can jump, or teleport, anywhere he wants to go. He uses his 'talent' to rob banks and travel to all places around the world. Of course there is a group that doesn't like 'jumpers' and takes it upon themselves to eliminate them. The storyline is predictable from there. But it was entertaining and somewhat original, I will admit. The main character was played by Hayden Christensen (the guy who played Anakin in the last two movies, or was that #2 and #3? anyway) and he wasn't much better in this movie either. He was better than in the Star Wars movies but not by a whole lot. Anyway, I'd reccommend this one if you're into sci-fi movies and would like to see something somewhat new. (but I will warn you that we did skip through at least one bedroom scene...just an fyi, if you care about those things).

2. 21 - Ok, now this one fascinated me! Let me back up a bit and explain. First of all, the movie touts that it is 'based on a true story' of a group of students and a teacher from MIT who take their intellect and use it to their advantage in Vegas by counting cards. After doing a little reading on the world wide web, turns out that the tag line should read more like this 'factual accounts based on fiction'. Needles to say, there's more fiction than fact going on here. But that isn't what got me thinking. I was totally into the story as a mirror of human struggle between doing the right thing (aka obedience to Christ) and how Satan gently lures us in with innocence and 'safety'. I would be interested in hearing someone elses opinion if they've seen it. Other than that, the movie was ok, predictable but entertaining.

3. The Spiderwick Chronicles - Ryan and I watched this on Halloween, not on purpose, but it seemed appropriate. At first I thought I was going to regret watching it, thinking it was going to be too juvenile. But it wasn't, not too bad anyway. So, the story is about three siblings that move to an old family house that no one has lived in for 80 years or so. They happen upon a secret book that reveals the hidden life of mystical beings around them. Now that they've uncovered the book, there is an evil ogre that desires the book and its secrets for himself (and rule the world....mwahahahaha). The kids must protect the book while they find a way to destroy it. I found it highly entertaining and it kept my attention the entire time (although the ending of the ogre storyline was a bit anti-climatic). It's about time there's a movie out there that has entertainment without gore and s3x! I'll let my kids watch it in a couple years when they won't be super-freaked out by the goblins and the havoc they create.

So, we didn't see a terrible amount of movies this month, as you can see. It's hard to find movies that aren't full of, ahem, crap. I get tired of seeing people with loose morals and filthy mouths. I wonder how much longer we will keep our account with Blockbuster Online. If you can recommend anything that you find entertaining with out the filth, please let me know and I'll add it to our queue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We watched Spiderwick with the kids a couple of weeks ago and we all really liked it. Isaac was a little frightened, but he was ok as long as he was sitting next to his dad. I'm thinking about reading the books to the kids one of these days.

orchard_girl said...

We were invited to the theater with some friends to see Spiderwick. They had all read the books and said it wouldn't be scary. I hadn't seen any of the previews and took all my kids. The theater was packed, we sat next to the wall, not an aisle. My two youngest were so scared, they sat with their backs to the screen, hugging me and telling me they wanted to leave. My two older kids enjoyed it. good times

Susie said...

I loved 21- I think we saw it in September or so. Of course, somewhat unrealistic, but certainly entertaining!