Thursday, November 10

My New Favorite.....

recipe!  Or maybe I should rephrase that to say our new favorite recipe, seeing how much Ryan like loved it.  A friend of mine so graciously passed on the recipe and I made this past Sunday.  It was ah-mazingly fab-u-lous!  If you love Mexican, spicy flavors then you will love this.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Posole

serves 8, prep 10 min, cook 2 hours (or longer in crock pot), adapted from Recipezaar, (and the recipe is also found here, on this web site)

  • 2 tbsp butter or bacon fat 
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 3 cups cooked pork, like carnitas
  • 1 cup roasted green chilies (canned or fresh), diced
  • 2 (15 oz) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
  • 1-2 qts chicken or pork stock to cover
  1. Melt butter or fat over medium heat and add onion, garlic, jalapeno, and spices.
  2. Saute until veggies are soft.
  3. Add pork, green chilies, and hominy.
  4. Add stock to cover and simmer soup for about 2 hours or until flavors are well combined.
  5. Serve with desired garnishes.
I actually made this in the crockpot by sauteing the veggies then adding everything to the crock pot and cooking on low until we were all home and ready to eat (about 7 hours).  The pork is already cooked and tender so you can cook this as long or as little as you want.  If you want to defat the soup, chill it over night in the fridge then remove the solidified fat from the top and reheat.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Mexican food is Ryan's comfort food.  Whenever he returns from a lengthy trip and is worn out from his travels, his go-to food is anything Mexican and searches it out when he hits the ground.  This is a dish that he may be requesting next time he's away.

I mentioned it being spicy, but don't be alarmed.  I'm not a fan of spicy-hot dishes, and neither are my kids for that matter.  However, the kids and I loved this soup.  Yes, it has some spicy, but it's not overdone or overpowering.  It's just, well, perfect.  And delicious.  And......well, you just gotta try it!

**I was able to purchase my carnets meat at Costco, already marinated and set to go!  I threw it in the freezer until I was ready to make the dish.  Then I put it in the crock pot all day (to thaw and cook), and cut it up and added it to the soup when it was time.  Perfection I tell ya!

No comments: